[od-discuss] introducing "Fair Data"

Conor Gillies conor at radioopensource.org
Fri Jan 23 20:18:36 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Ryan Merkley at Creative Commons suggested I get in touch. I'm an outsider
and a newcomer, so sorry if my message feels out of left field.

Basically, I'm a public radio producer working with some activists and
thinkers around and beyond Cambridge, Mass. on a wide-scale graphic design
project: "Fair Data."

We're taking a line from ACLU activist Chris Soghoian, who suggests in The
Economist starting a “‘fair data’ movement, in the vein of ‘fair trade’
campaigns...to support transparent and ethical policies on data­sharing,
privacy and security” (“Little Brother,” September 13, 2014).

http://www.economist.com/news/special-report/21615875-technology-has-transformed-advertising-consumers-need-be-kept-board-world

We'd work with leading internet not-for-profits—Internet Archive,
Wikipedia, NPR, &c.—to display the icon on privacy info pages and footers.

The icon would represent a baseline, universal privacy policy: your personal
data isn't being abused, surveilled, or sold for commercial gain.

Working with NPR's head graphic design person on the visual component. But
we're deep in over our heads articulating the language. So as we begin to
collect feedback, we're wondering:

1) What is the most democratic way to write and maintain a basic "Fair
Data" privacy policy? Where would it be located and edited?

2) Talking with some folks at the Berkman Center, too. Who else should we
reach out to about this? Are there similar projects out there to keep in
mind?

It's an ambitious, loose plan at the moment but we think it could go a long
way—so long as the language is plain, and the process of design and writing
is open and democratic.

Happy to talk more, and can share a PDF sketch of the project as it stands.

Yours thankfully,
Conor

--
Conor Gillies