[odc-discuss] Updates this week

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Mar 28 11:33:26 UTC 2009

Hi,

Jordan S Hatcher wrote:
> What this process has highlighted though is a need to produce some
> FAQs and specific responses to some of the comments out there
> alongside the new draft.  It would likely be counter-productive to
> just put the new draft out there without these materials.

[...]

> I've drafted a response, for example to the ITO world lawyer as well
> as started on a series of FAQ points.

Makes a lot of sense to me and should be given all the time it needs.

I wonder if, in addition to the document you are creating, there will
also be room for a kind of implementation-specific FAQ. E.g. when
someone like OSM decides to use the ODbL, should they perhaps even be
encouraged to issue a document that serves (technically speaking) as a
kind of "adapter" between the subject matter and the ODbL, clarifying
ODbL terms in domain speak.

For example, ODbL might refrain from trying to define "substantial"
because such a definition is impossible in an abstract form; but to be
clear to the mapper on the street, OSM needs to issue a definition they
can understand (as in: "We consider it a substantial extract if you take
data covering more than one square kilometre" or whatever). I cold
imagine that, while not strictly part of the license and not legally
binding as such, a hypothetical future legal action about alleged rights
infringement could very well be influenced by such a definition if made
prominently by OSM.

The same goes for those "when does database-ness stop and Produced
Work-ness begin during a design process" questions; they might be very
hard to answer in a general fashion.

If you plan to keep the "how to apply this license to your data"
guidelines at the bottom of the license text, then maybe you could
consider adding a paragraph to them that lists key points (like
substantial/insubstantial) that you cannot define in the license or you
own FAQ, and encourages the user of the license to clarify them for his
domain if he feels they might be unclear.

Bye
Frederik