[ok-edinburgh] capacity of OK Scotland event

Stuart Macdonald stuart.macdonald at ed.ac.uk
Tue Apr 27 09:56:02 UTC 2010

Hi Jo - plenty food for thought. An Open-Knowledge mini-event sounds
good as part of/adjunct to the 3rd Repository Fringe in September and
could be used to accommodate those unable to make May 13th, elaborate on
issues raised, or provide another forum for presentation on more
focussed topics etc.

At the moment we have 10 spaces left (and a couple of weeks to go before
the event)- this would take us up to the magic number of 75. As Robin
suggested a waiting list can be employed to include those wishing to
attend into any cancelled slots.

There's obvious time/effort/resource issues re. live AV feeds etc - I
guess this can be discussed this pm.

The current thinking was along the lines of 8 minute lightning talks (in
4 batches of 4) with some built in Q&A and changeover time. This does
eat slightly into  the last hour. Again, this is fluid as long as the
arithmetic stacks up.

Nicola has already registered and will no doubt use all of her skills as
social media guru to feed tendrils to/from the event into the networked
ether.

cheers
Stuart

Jo Walsh wrote:

> Paula, these all look like great suggestions,
>
> On 26/04/2010 16:17, Paola Di Maio wrote:
>> 1. break down the meeting into 2-3 smaller topic areas and spread around
>> different dates, perhaps?
>
> Later in the year (September? October?) Robin and Stuart are planning
> their Repository Fringe conference (this will be the 4th?).
> We've briefly discussed adding an Open Knowledge mini-event onto this -
>
> The more I think about it the more I like the idea. This event could be
> focused on the research topic areas - open access, community-driven
> research, open process for publishers and funders, etc.
>
> As for the government / local data areas I'm less sure. There will be
> some Scottish government / archives / geodata showing and one thing I
> want to see emerging from this is "Scotland's Data" ideally based on
> CKAN. I hope current leaders in that scene would take the lead on this.
> We can see how much really shakes out.
>
> This Wednesday am doing an OSGeo talk to a group of local government
> geodata interest types in Glasgow, will big up OK Scotland and would
> like to make sure that folks there are still able to register.
>
> Michael Fourman did mention, a while back, the prospect of moving to
> another bigger venue within the main Informatics Forum - but I really do
> like Inspace as a space and like the fact that it is not so much within,
> security gates etc.
>
>> 2. allow remote participation?
>
> You mean people skyping in, or live A/V feeds going out? I have a little
> flip video camera now and will use it to record talks etc.
> EDINA actually has a "social media officer" who i'm counting on to
> corral the twittersphere for this (though has she registered?!)
>
>> 3. keep the  talks really short and link to a website where people can
>> link their stuff
>
> Thinking 5-10 mins per talk including questions... and yes lots of
> documentation! A programme page on the main OKF wiki?
>
>> I also wanted to ask, how can participants engage with OKF and Edina
>> with related projects and research, where relevant?
>
> Yes these are good questions that deserve better answers :)
>
> Tomorrow at 4pm, the Data Library, 5 Buccleuch Place, Second Floor,
> Robin has arranged a meeting to go through the talk submissions and put
> a draft final programme together - I hope we can stay flexible up to the
> day - all welcome to come and meet - strictly 1 hour max.
>
> be well,
>

> jo

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.