[ok-edinburgh] capacity of OK Scotland event

Jo Walsh jo.walsh at ed.ac.uk
Mon Apr 26 21:57:04 UTC 2010

Paula, these all look like great suggestions,

On 26/04/2010 16:17, Paola Di Maio wrote:
> 1. break down the meeting into 2-3 smaller topic areas and spread around
> different dates, perhaps?

Later in the year (September? October?) Robin and Stuart are planning
their Repository Fringe conference (this will be the 4th?).
We've briefly discussed adding an Open Knowledge mini-event onto this -

The more I think about it the more I like the idea. This event could be
focused on the research topic areas - open access, community-driven
research, open process for publishers and funders, etc.

As for the government / local data areas I'm less sure. There will be
some Scottish government / archives / geodata showing and one thing I
want to see emerging from this is "Scotland's Data" ideally based on
CKAN. I hope current leaders in that scene would take the lead on this.
We can see how much really shakes out.

This Wednesday am doing an OSGeo talk to a group of local government
geodata interest types in Glasgow, will big up OK Scotland and would
like to make sure that folks there are still able to register.

Michael Fourman did mention, a while back, the prospect of moving to
another bigger venue within the main Informatics Forum - but I really do
like Inspace as a space and like the fact that it is not so much within,
security gates etc.

> 2. allow remote participation?

You mean people skyping in, or live A/V feeds going out? I have a little
flip video camera now and will use it to record talks etc.
EDINA actually has a "social media officer" who i'm counting on to
corral the twittersphere for this (though has she registered?!)

> 3. keep the  talks really short and link to a website where people can
> link their stuff

Thinking 5-10 mins per talk including questions... and yes lots of
documentation! A programme page on the main OKF wiki?

> I also wanted to ask, how can participants engage with OKF and Edina
> with related projects and research, where relevant?

Yes these are good questions that deserve better answers :)

Tomorrow at 4pm, the Data Library, 5 Buccleuch Place, Second Floor,
Robin has arranged a meeting to go through the talk submissions and put
a draft final programme together - I hope we can stay flexible up to the
day - all welcome to come and meet - strictly 1 hour max.

be well,

jo
Jo Walsh

Unlock places - http://unlock.edina.ac.uk/