[ok-scotland] Web/App Developer: Technologist in Residence - We have up to £40,000 in grant funding available for a six-nine month fellowship opportunity in Scotland

Ewan Klein ewan.klein at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 11:09:38 UTC 2014

From: Nesta Scotland <nestascotland at gmail.com>
Subject: [TechMeetup] Web/App Developer: Technologist in Residence - We have up to £40,000 in grant funding available for a six-nine month fellowship opportunity in Scotland
Date: 21 February 2014 15:41:07 GMT
To: techmeetup at googlegroups.com

We're looking for four developers to support our Open Data Scotland Programme.

Open Data Scotland aims to add social and economic value to communities, developers and local government through opening up data sets. The programme will support the development of four new digital services which tackle specific issues in their communities.

The programme will work with four Scottish local authorities (Edinburgh, East Lothian, Clackmannanshire and Aberdeen) to identify the problems they wish to try and solve using digital technology (apps, websites, etc). These could be straight forward issues, for example like local travel and transport, tourism and leisure information; to ‘grittier’ issues like crime, health, youth unemployment.

We are looking for independent developers who are interested in working for a good cause, creative, well-organised with experience of open data platforms. Developers will join the local authority teams as a Nesta Technologist in Residence (either part time or full time for six-nine months depending on the local situation and your commitments).

Although part of the local authority team delivering on this project, the developer will remain independent as a technical advisor and digital solution builder, and not an employee of Nesta or the local authority. Nesta will provide grant funding to cover your costs, including travel and associated expenses.

Developers must have experience in app development, web development and have experience in analysing and collating data. The project will include working individually, as well as interacting with local authority staff and partners in a fast-moving and busy working environment.

This programme sits alongside the EU Code for Europe project, in which Nesta is a partner. The Scottish developers will have the opportunity to collaborate and share learning with other developers across Europe.

If you are an enthusiastic digital developer who has an interest in the open data agenda and are keen to support an innovative, collaborative project, please contact Scotland at nesta.org.uk with your CV and covering letter indicating which local authority area you are interested in supporting. We would like to hear about your experience, preferred coding languages and platforms for web, database or apps. Please also include examples or links to any previous work.

For further information, please contact scotland at nesta.org.uk

The deadline is 5pm, Monday 10 March 2014.