[OKCon-Programme] Length of talks at OKCon

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue May 3 10:16:04 BST 2011

My own preference is towards the short side. Of course there are some
speakers who can entrall us for hours (and hopefully those include the
invited).

Given the enormous breadth of the OK movement I think someone should
reasonably be able to attend 10 different invited stimulating talks in the
time and have discussion and have time for shorter specific ones and to
attend the workshops.

I wish to attend *all* the invited talks, even if I haven't heard of the
speaker (actually especially when I haven't). I want people to go to the
conference and get an idea of Open Culture AND open science AND Open
Software for Knowledge liberation AND LinkedOpenData AND Open government
stuff. I'm assuming many of the attendees will be there for the first time -
I want it to feel like an inclusive meeting, not a parallel track where you
make decisions too early.

My impression was tha the last London OKCon was 30 mins. I was really
enthused by people I had never heard of. They got their message over in 30
mins. Any more and I would have blown an emotional/political gasket.

Of course the practicalities take priority

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics