[okfestival-discuss] a session proposal - how to run a social hackathon. Do you like the idea? Would you participate?

Emanuil Tolev emanuil at cottagelabs.com
Fri Mar 28 18:21:35 UTC 2014

I've fielded a few questions about organising hackathons and my colleagues
even more so. It's quite a difficult thing to do well.

Not sure if I can think of something I would need to prepare for a social
hackathon as opposed to a not-specifically-social hackathon/hackday.
Obviously the hackathon topic would differ, but does the organisation
differ? Is posing the right questions different? Mapping out the problem
space? Not sure I've participated in enough social good ones to give solid
answers to these myself.

The topic itself is interesting, I'd certainly like to know more about
organising hackathons well :). It's by no means an easy task.

Outcomes seem fine, a set of guidelines/tips.

The only slight issue I see (I could be entirely wrong about its
importance, remember) is that there's a lot of advice online in the shape
of guidelines or tips for organising hackathons. If I was submitting I'd
feel like including a couple of sentences detailing what makes this session
stand out - there are no easily discoverable *social* hackathon resources.
And why is it important to have a resource which focuses on *social* ones
as opposed to generic hackathon organisation.

Greetings,
Emanuil