[okfn-advisory] Open Knowledge brand and website

Laura James laura.james at okfn.org
Thu May 8 17:52:36 UTC 2014

All,

As some of you will know, we've had lots of discussion around the new brand
in the last few weeks, especially the tagline, which some folks feel is too
data-centric, or not enough about people, or not specific enough to our
work.

In response we've opened this up for more community input, and so far there’s
not been a clear consensus on a good alternative tagline yet, so we’re
going to continue to use

*"Open Knowledge: see how data can change the world" *for now.

We’d like to continue seeking a better alternative though! There’s some
notes on what a tagline needs to do, and a list of alternative ideas on the
wiki: http://wiki.okfn.org/About_the_Open_Knowledge_brand/tagline_discussion It
would be great to see some further exploration of the options there, and to
gather other new ideas for the tagline too. In a few weeks, when everyone’s
had a bit more time to reflect, we’ll come back to the list on the wiki and
work out a shortlist.

It would be great to get ideas from Advisory Council members on this. It's
difficult to capture all the variety and diversity of Open Knowledge in
just a few words, which make sense and are interesting and compelling to
people encountering us for the first time, and your thoughts would be
really valuable.

Best regards,

Laura