[@OKFNau] Open Access Button Hackathon

Georgina E Taylor getaylor at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 02:26:41 UTC 2013

For all those interested in Open Access, the Open Access Button team are
hosting a hackathon very soon. Read below for details about the brilliant
project and their hackathon, head to the original post
here<http://oabutton.wordpress.com/2013/08/27/oa-button-hackathon-7-8th-september>to
sign up.

You can also check out oabutton.wordpress.com or follow them on twitter
@OA_Button. If you're interested in Open Access, I'd highly suggest you
follow along with their progress even if you won't be attending the
hackathon.

Regards,

Georgina
(Tasmanian student into OA, new to OKFN)

"Millions of people a day are denied access to the research they both need
and paid for because of paywalls <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paywall>.
It doesn’t have to be like this, but we need your help. We’re two students
from the UK making a tool to help change the system – it’s called the Open
Access Button. The button is a browser-based tool which tracks every time
someone is denied access to a paper. We then display this, along with the
person’s location, profession and story on a real time, worldwide,
interactive map of the problem. It gets better though. While creating
pressure to open up scholarly and scientific research, we help people work
within the current broken system by helping them get access to the paper
they need. We started building a prototype at the BMJ Hack Weekend, and
came third place. But we’re not finished yet and our launch is coming up
fast! To help build it we’re hosting a hackathon on the 7-8th of September
in London. If you’re a developer, have an eye for design or both we’d love
to see you. Not in the UK? Doesn’t matter! you can join in from anywhere in
the world – just sign up below.

If you want any more information about the project- email us
oabutton at gmail.com or read more
here<http://blogs.plos.org/thestudentblog/2013/08/20/if-someone-hits-a-paywall-in-the-forest-does-it-make-a-sound-the-open-access-button/>
."

From