[@OKFNau] Govhack announcement and other upcoming events

Anne Cregan anne.cregan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 08:24:34 UTC 2013

Hello all,

If you've not met me before, please allow me to introduce myself - I'm
Dr Anne Cregan-Wolfe, a Board member of OKFNau, joining Pia and Dave on
the executive team.  Many of you will know me as last year's Sydney
HackMaster for GovHack 2013, or from my work at Intersect, or perhaps
even my previous role at NICTA.  I'm very keen on Open Data and on Open
Knowledge in general, so I'm really pleased to be getting hands-on with
OKFNau, as we have a really exciting year ahead!

OKFNau are very pleased to announce GovHack 2014, which will be bigger
and better than ever:

http://www.govhack.org/2013/11/18/govhack-2014-save-the-date-more-data-code-for-australia-red-carpet/

The dates will be July 11-13 2014, and it will run from Friday night
through Sunday again.  Please mark your calendar now and let your
friends, colleagues and fellow hackers know.

We are looking for sponsorship and volunteers across Australia to help
make the event even more successful than last year.  Once again, we are
planning to run events in every State capital, and are inviting
expressions of interest for volunteers to help out with every aspect of
running the events.
We are also inviting proposals for running GovHack hackfests in *new*
locations, so if you are interested in helping get GovHack off the
ground in your local city or town please let us know!  We want to make
GovHack accessible to as many people as possible.

We are also looking for new data, so if you have an idea for data you'd
like to get hold of, or you think you can provide an interesting dataset
for hacking, please let us know.

Potential Sponsors - whether academic, commercial or government - we
welcome your support!  Please let us know how you'd be interesting in
contributing.

Here's the enquiry form for sponsors, agencies and local event enquiries:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/13rBbx3Txs8rC-mJ5u29IDE0uy4Polq_mzMiXomltI6o/viewform

---

We'd also like to draw attention to a couple of exciting things taking
place over the next few weeks that may be of interest:

Apps4NSW Competition
--------------------
Apps4NSW is now running an online competition with two challenges, each
with a $15,000 prize for the best app.

The first challenge is for the Australian Museum, to put a collection of
illustrations, diaries, manuscripts, published books, social histories
and botanical and insect specimens from the 1840s to 1890s online,
linked to current data on Australian moths, butterflies and plants.

The second challenge is from the NSW Office for Ageing, to build an app
around improving use of the existing Seniors card, which connects
Seniors with business services and discounts.

Expressions of Interest for both challenges are due by December 2, 2014,
with the actual development work planned to take place over the
following 2 months or so.  Read more at
http://data.nsw.gov.au/apps4nsw/onlinecompetition

NICTA EnviroHack: Friday 29 November

NICTA will be running a national event called "EnviroHack" on Friday 29
November at NICTA labs in Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra and Adelaide.
You'll be able to access amazing geospatial datasets including land use,
water, weather and more. Prize pool includes $2,000 cash and an
opportunity to present your work at Locate 14.

Flyer attached.  The event is free - please register at
https://envirohack.eventbrite.com.au <https://envirohack.eventbrite.com.au>

Best wishes,
Anne