No subject

Sun Oct 20 16:01:18 UTC 2013

Robogals UTas President
Chair of ACS Young IT Tas

--Boundary_(ID_iLv60L4QGLf0TRcsfRlRSg)

<DIV>Hi all,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>It's fantastic that there is such a large push to open up government data but I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a similar push to get non-government entities on board the open data bandwagon and if there was a central place people could search for this data?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>For Example, I'm involve with ACS-W national board, which represents Women who work in the ICT sector in Australia. Which is a proffesion that is similar to Engineering in the fact that something like less than 20% of the proffesion are female.&nbsp;ACS-W have completed a survey on women who work in this area every two years for the last 6 years. I'm trying to encourage the board to&nbsp;open up that data to see if there is someone in the wider community who could also benefit or do some important analysis tasks on that data.&nbsp;I also know Engineers Australia also have a similar survey. It is all closely related to the work I do for Robogals and Girl Geek Coffee. Understanding why there seems to be a lack of diversity within these two industries is an interest of mine. I believe having a good understanding of the issues is a way for me to address them effectively.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>In my search for open data on wages/income and diversity I came across this report: <A href="http://www.dss.gov.au/our-responsibilities/women/publications-articles/gender-balance-on-australian-government-boards-report-2012-2013-0">http://www.dss.gov.au/our-responsibilities/women/publications-articles/gender-balance-on-australian-government-boards-report-2012-2013-0</A>
<DIV>which states: As at 30 June 2013, women held 41.7 per cent of Government board appointments. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>That seems to be a pretty good number. Seems the public sector is doing something about gender equality regardless of what is seen in Tony Abbott's cabinet. </DIV>
<DIV>However from <A href="http://www.dss.gov.au/our-responsibilities/women/publications-articles/general/employee-earnings-and-hours-survey?HTML">http://www.dss.gov.au/our-responsibilities/women/publications-articles/general/employee-earnings-and-hours-survey?HTML</A>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>it seems&nbsp;the gender pay gap is still increasing (Though if a female is on an award she is likely to get paid more on average than her male counterpart. I'm all for equality, I believe there are some issues facing men as well that a worth improving, like having equal parental leave). Sorry for the off topicness but thanks for reading this far.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Is anyone up for having a discussion/provide some insight&nbsp;about&nbsp;any topic within this email?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>From Samantha Connelly</DIV>
<DIV>Robogals UTas President</DIV>
<DIV>Chair of ACS Young IT Tas</DIV></DIV>

--Boundary_(ID_iLv60L4QGLf0TRcsfRlRSg)--