[@OKFNau] Dame Wendy Hall - Web Science talk at Sydney Uni this Thursday 3pm

Anne Cregan anne.cregan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 02:07:10 UTC 2013

Hi all,

If you are in Sydney on Thursday you may be interested to attend this
Basser talk on Web Science at Sydney Uni by Dame Wendy Hall, who is
currently visiting Australia.   It's on this Thursday at 3pm-4pm:

http://whatson.sydney.edu.au/events/published/basser-seminar-web-science-a-new-science-for-a-new-age

> In this talk, Professor Wendy Hall will reflect on the evolution of
> the web. She will analyse the reasons why it became the first truly
> ubiquitous hypertext system against all competitors, and look both at
> the way it has evolved from a network of linked documents to a system
> that facilitates social networking on a scale previously unimaginable.
> Professor Hall will then look at how the web will evolve in the future
> as a network of linked data and beyond.
>
> The study of the web---its evolution and its impact on society, on
> business, and on government---is referred to as web science. Another
> way of characterising this new discipline, which is inherently
> social-technical in nature, is as the theory and practice of social
> machines. To study social machines we need to develop new research
> methodologies and draw on many different disciplines. The talk will
> conclude by considering the progress that has been made so far in this
> important new area of research, and ways to tackle the major
> challenges going forward.

Open to all but you do need to register - follow the link above to fill
out the online registration form.

Unfortunately I probably won't make it myself (ISWC2013 is on at the
same time), but it certainly looks interesting.

Regards,
Dr Anne Cregan-Wolfe