[@OKFNau] Best place for mashups?

Lars Yencken lars at yencken.org
Mon Jun 23 13:19:50 UTC 2014

Hi Simon,

I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all answer. Here's my take:

Mashups are all unique snowflakes. They're usually once-off, and many make
use of APIs which change, meaning they won't keep working without continued
maintenance. Realistically, most are exploratory and won't get that
maintenance. How many of last year's Govhack entries are still running
today?

If you write a good blog post about something, open what data you've
combined and the code you've used on Github, then you've done a good job of
demonstrating an idea and letting others follow. This is basically about
open science. Discovery is just handled by documentation: your post and
READMEs serve to index the mashup in search engines for others to find. You
can use Github directly for static hosting, if your mashup allows it.

If you're talking about a larger project with ongoing maintenance and many
contributors, I think it already falls out of the mashup category
altogether.

Hope that's helpful.

Best,
Lars