[@OKau] OpenSpending Next: 2015 Roadmap

Paul Walsh paulywalsh at gmail.com
Thu May 21 09:48:58 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I’m co-ordinating the development of the next version of OpenSpending, and currently that means formalising a bunch of ideas that have been kicking around a while, and devising a plan for development in 2015.

If you want to contribute to a global spending project, and help us solve really difficult issues like comparative analysis of financial data, as well as more fun stuff like visualising data for humans, then read see the coped mail below.

If you do not hack, but you are interested in the opening up of budgets and other financial data, you can still help!

User stories and use cases: We are collecting user stories and use cases around open financial data. You can contribute to this thread - https://discuss.okfn.org/t/sharing-spend-data-use-cases/270/5 <https://discuss.okfn.org/t/sharing-spend-data-use-cases/270/5> - or also contact me directly.

Specifications: If you are a domain expert in financial data, or, for example, a journalist doing statistical analysis on financial data, you might be interested in helping out on the specifications for what we call Open Spending Data Package: http://labs.openspending.org/osep/osep-04.html <http://labs.openspending.org/osep/osep-04.html>. You can also contact me directly on that as well.

Lastly, you may just like to signup to the discussion forum to follow what is going on:

https://discuss.okfn.org/c/openspending <https://discuss.okfn.org/c/openspending>

Best,

Paul

----
(copied from mail to openspending-dev and okfnlabs)

Hi all,

I've booted a simple Jekyll site for all the roadmap and specification work on the new OpenSpending (which I've dubbed OpenSpending Next in absence of anything better to call it):

http://labs.openspending.org/next/

Important links:

	• Roadmap (http://labs.openspending.org/next/roadmap.html)
	• Components and Teams (http://labs.openspending.org/next/roadmap.html#components-and-teams): Work will focus on specific components. This section makes those explicit, provides some ballpark estimates, and provides a way to register interest in joining a team

The site is hosted on GitHub Pages:

	• https://github.com/openspending/next

We welcome pull requests and issues to make suggestions on the existing roadmap, and to help out with the specifications - particular user stories and use cases at this stage. Every page has a link for editing, to make this easier.

Best,

Paul