[Okfn-ca] Compte-rendu de la première réunion du groupe local, 9 juillet 2013 | OKFN Canada - Groupe local de l'Open Knowledge Foundation – Local Group : promouvoir le savoir libre

Ted Strauss ted at trudat.co
Fri Jul 12 13:59:19 UTC 2013

Hi Peder and all,
I attended the OKFN-ca meetup last week and brought up the language issue
during the brainstorming round we did. I'm bilingual, from anglo Canada,
and the
first concern I had about a national group was the language split. I
brought it
up and this issue was grouped priority #1, along with other out-reach
issues.

I also have a specific idea for how to improve communications generally, and
specifically around the langauge issue. The idea is to move okfn-ca
discussion
into a more feature-rich forum software. I have recently setup a forum at
odx.io
using the new Discourse <http://discourse.org> forum, and I'd be willing to
modify it to become the
okfn-ca discussion hub.

How would this forum help the language issue?
 - By moving conversations out of the listserv, it's stops you receiving
emails that are not in your preferred language, which can become annoying.
 - We could mix together English and French topics inside the forum, so
users could pick and choose what topics to engage with.
 - Discussions can be all English, all French, or bilingual.

The Disourse forum has many other advantages, especially for long-term
collaborations.

Cheers
Ted Strauss