[OKFN-CH] help needed

Luc Girardin luc.girardin at macrofocus.com
Mon Sep 22 14:17:29 UTC 2014

Dear Muriel,
> We were contacted by public authorities who are looking for official
> and open data containing all countries, cities, provinces etc. of the
> entire world.
>
> As far as I was told, the Swiss Federal Office for Statistics only has
> the data for Europe and CH.
>
> Thanks for letting me know if you have an idea where this data is
> openly available.
There is no such "official" repository!

Currently, the most successful effort at putting all of the pieces
together (with global coverage) is Natural Earth:

http://www.naturalearthdata.com/

Just let me know if it doesn't contain all of what you are looking
for... there are quite a few additional data sources around.

Kind regards,

Luc

--
Luc Girardin  Macrofocus GmbH, Wasserwerkstr. 10, CH-8006 Zurich
        email: luc.girardin at macrofocus.com
        phone: +41 44 350 52 18
          fax: +41 44 350 52 19
          web: http://www.macrofocus.com/