[okfn-discuss] Calendar

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Fri Jan 27 01:25:00 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 12:53:34AM +0000, Tom Chance wrote:
> Ahoy,
>
> I've been looking at upcoming properly for the first time today, maybe you
> should check it out again? It has:
> - tags with RSS feeds
> - metadata for venue & group, both with RSS feeds
> - an API that Drupal almost supports

then go with upcoming :) well, tossup between centralised solution,
stable you hope and a lot of eyes, vs something potentially a lot
flakier that lives in your own namespace, but that won't have its plug
pulled, or create risk of not broadcasting things when you want them
to be. also, civicspacelabs.org did a lot of social calendaring oriented
extensions to drupal proper that one could play with. but if your aim
is rebroadcasting to someone else's centralised repository, and being
able to collect and reintegrate events from it easily, and drupal will
do a lot of that for you now and and it looks like the best
way to get words out, then it probably is.

the issues i had before were with upcoming were not date fields
available in feed, so it was useless to try and aggregate and build
apps from... but as a semweb geek i got hung up on better metadata for
a long time. as long as it's easy-as to get your data out of as well
as into upcoming (and it has been a long time since i looked at it)
then why not go with it as the simplest useful thing right now?

i'm not *that* keen on evnt.org, just a little unnerved to see so many
single points of failure in this whole 'web 2.0' setup. ;)

-jo