[okfn-discuss] Setting up 2 Funds (for F/OSS and Open Knowledge)

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jul 14 18:53:10 UTC 2006

The idea is to set up two funds:

== Fund 1: Generic F/OSS Fund ==

Amount: 500 EUR / year

Motivation: Here at the OKF we use lots of F/OSS for the work we do.
However while we do occasionally give back in the form of submitting
bugs and contributing code as well as producing our own open source
software it would be nice to explicitly recognize the contribution of
F/OSS software by donating money to particular projects.

== Fund 2: Open Knowledge Projects Fund ==

The focus would be on projects actually producing open knowledge or
associated tools rather than campaigning organizations.

Amount: 5000 EUR / year

Motivation: while we are doing plenty of open knowledge work in house it
is part of the OKF approach that open knowledge development will become
more like software development in having a large diversity of projects
and packages (with some mechanism for plugging different packages
together). Supporting the development of external packages and tools
would be a great way to encourage this approach, seed a wider OK
community and raise the profile of the OKF.

== Administration ==

Funds would be administered by the OKF. Open discussion of their
allocation would take place on the list. Decision making would be by
consensus with fallback to a vote ASF style of the combined executive
and advisory boards. In the long run we might want to appoint a specific
committee that would deal with this.

Regarding application and disbursement I would prefer to have a model
that involved **very low** transaction costs. There should be no complex
application process (perhaps no application process at all -- or at most
just a wiki page), decisions need not be justified etc.

== Provision of Funds ==

Funds would be provided by the OKF. Currently we have sufficient funds
to cover at least this year and next in addition to our other commitments.

== Extensions ==

A tentative hope of mine is that these funds might over time develop
into 'general' funds to which many people contribute. This would of
course necessitate a concomitant widening of the governance (this would
be an interesting issue to discuss further ...)

I've long meant to make contributions on a personal basis to various
F/OSS projects whose software I've used. However whenever I've thought
of doing this I've ended up debating issues such as how much to give and
whom to give it too rather than actually giving the money. I would much
prefer to be able to set up a standing order to donate annually to some
fund and which would then take care of the administration and disbursement.

Similarly if I am an organization -- be it or a government, corporation,
NGO etc -- it would be useful to have a central organization through
which to disburse funds to F/OSS and OK projects and which would provide
'features' such as:
   * Accountability and auditing (the money isn't being siphoned off ...)
   * Allocation decisions
   * Credibility with the community
   * Certification of the support (i.e. that the money has been given)