[okfn-discuss] OK2 date/venue

Jonathan jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Tue Aug 28 17:07:06 UTC 2007

Hi,

So it seems like Saturday 5th April 2008 seems like a good date?

Regarding the venue, I've just made a few phonecalls and discovered the
following:

  * University of London Conference Facilities (based around Senate
House) are being refurbished and will probably not be available until 2009
  * A 145 person capacity lecture theatre at SOAS costs £540 for
academic purposes, they have a 290 person hall for £820. They are
sending me further details about all the 5 halls they have available
ASAP. Haven't yet investigated possible breakout rooms, or
reception/coffee areas.
  * Imperial have a lot of potential venues and academic rates seem to
be around £720 for 150 people. Around £145 for half day sessions.
  * The relevant contact (Emma Jane Taylor) at the ICA is away until
early September. I'll get back to the list after I've managed to get
through to her.

I've also contacted the RSA but have not yet managed to ascertain rates
for not-for-profit organisations.

Regarding ex-industrial/institutional spaces, one of the places I had in
mind is probably off the cards (due to terms of use), and another is
probably not central enough (its near Hackney Wick). Also, I'm inclined
to think that if we can find a central public/academic facility that
people are more likely to be familiar with, that might be better...

Saul: have you managed to find out anything else about the University of
Westminister?

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Jonathan