Fwd: [okfn-discuss] Project updates: Open Shakespeare

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Mar 21 17:24:37 UTC 2007

Oldak Quill wrote:
> On 21/03/07, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
>> Oldak Quill wrote:
[snip]
>> > As to the first point, Distributed Proofreaders (and Distributed
>> > Proofreaders Europe) has already proven itself to be a robust,
>> > effective collabortion model for proofreading/formatting old texts. Is
>> > there any reason why this couldn't be used?
>>
>> None at all -- do you know how we would contact them and suggest
>> processing that particular text (I know that gutenberg processed vol. 1
>> and vol. 2 of the 11th edition of Encyclopaedia but not the one we are
>> interested in).

[snip]

> I know there are efforts under way at Distributed Proofreaders to get
> through the whole Encyclopaedia, but since it's such a large work it's
> taking its while (I think they're up to the 8th volume).

I've only been able to find the first two volumes via google -- do you
know where I can vols 3-8? I should also say that we are only interested
in 10 pages or so of that particular volume large work so it might we
worth just doing it ourselves (or is there a way to suggest just a small
section to the distributed proof reading project). We also need to do
the OCRing as text on wikisource is just the scan (from a look around
pgdp.net it seems you need to scan it before it gets to them).

> I'd suggest posting on the forum (http://www.pgdp.net/) or asking a
> project co-ordinator (the guys responsible for taking a text from OCR
> to release) for some advice. Since it's a voluntary system, there's no
> reason why someone who's currently involved in Open Shakespeare can't
> learn the ropes and become the co-ordinator for the proofreading of
> this project. That said, I'm sure there would be plenty willing to
> help out.

Thanks for the suggestion Oldak and I'll post on their forums about this.