[okfn-discuss] OFCOM Public Service Publisher (PSP) consultation response

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Mar 22 10:37:12 UTC 2007

Saul Albert wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 04:03:44PM +0000, Tim Cowlishaw wrote:
>>    Happy to draft these in, if everyone agrees....
>
> Hi all,
>
> I had a go at synthesising my draft and Rufus' comments:
>
> http://www.openrightsgroup.org/orgwiki/index.php/Ofcom_PSP_Consultation_March_2007#Draft_Response

Great work Saul.

> At Rufus' suggestion I removed the p2p bit and the semweb bit - perhaps
> these are the kinds of projects the psp we call for could support -
> rather than core properties of the psp itself. This makes it even

Yes I think it would be cool if they did do that but I think at this
stage it would be taking us a bit far off-topic.

> simpler and shorter - which I like.

I've added a scenarios section which tries to convert our general
suggestions into a couple of concrete examples. Also do we need a
definition of open content/open data somewhere -- perhaps as a
postscript (given that their consultation site is called open media
network I'm concerned their meaning of open is much more limited than
ours).

> However, I haven't had time to add Tim and Martin's ideas - perhaps
> you'd have time to do this Tim? I'm afraid I'm under the gun for the
> next few weeks so won't have a chance.
>
> Also I remember Becky Hogge saying she could do some work on this. I
> think it still needs some development - and then some promotion to get
> lots of good signatories.

Given time constraints I think we will have to keep this fairly
restricted (though we could do a later call via boingboing which would
add weight)

Current potential signatories:

   * Open Knowledge Foundation
   * Free Culture UK
   * Open Rights Group (need to confirm)
   * Knowledge Ecology International (was cptech) -- need to contact
   * ? other suggestions

If we want individual signatories we could put this out to various lists
though I am wary of doing this given time limit (and need to corral the

~rufus