[okfn-discuss] OKCon 2008

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Oct 19 11:58:31 UTC 2007

Jonathan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As Rufus mentioned, OKCon 2008 will take place on Saturday 14th March
> 2008 at LSE. A few of us at the IRC meeting last week started
> brainstorming for sessions. If anyone feels like proposing or adopting a
> session, please feel free to contribute to the wiki:
>
>    http://www.okfn.org/wiki/okcon2008

Realistically, if we allow a decent amount of time for the 'open'
session in the afternoon (with speakers coming from the CFP) this leaves
us with around 3 specific sessions (4 max). For example last year we had
3 (Geodata, Media and Content and Civic Info and Science). Current
front-runners I think are:

   * Transport and Environment
   * Visualization and Analysis
   * Education

Opinions plus suggestions for additional/alternative sessions welcome.

> Also, I've just added two draft e-mails - one announce e-mail and one
> call for proposals:
>
>    http://www.okfn.org/wiki/okcon2008/announce
>    http://www.okfn.org/wiki/okcon2008/callsforproposals

I don't think we are going to want to send two separate mails out. I
think we can probably fold the CFP into the end of the announce as we
did last year.

> It would be useful to clarify and expand upon the theme, which in our
> IRC meeting last week and in subsequent discussion seemed to emerge as
> 'applications and services'.

That's right. I think it would also be good to give a brief background
(previous events, what is open knowledge etc).

> It was also suggested that we could use the event to launch and solicit
> for feedback on the Open Service Definition.

Yes, Saul suggested this and I think it is an excellent idea.

> It'd be great to get input on these drafts so we can start circulating
> them and get the ball rolling!

I'd suggest working to extend the them and background info and then
reposting to the list (i think for a brief text like this the list is
more appropriate than the wiki).

~rufus