[okfn-discuss] [ANN] Open-source innovation platform Cofundos.org

Sören Auer auer at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Wed Oct 24 14:30:44 UTC 2007

Nate, Peter,

Thanks a lot for your encouraging words! We are also very excited, to
see if this new (support) model for open-source development can work. We
got a little coverage by German IT media but I think we still need more
contributors to reach a critical mass. So please, register, tell your
friends, blog about it and let me know if you have any idea for
improvements.
Once the Cofundos idea is successful, I think we will have many
opportunities to extend it and add additional services. We for example
are thinking about applying the same concept for funding of research
projects: The concept will be altered in that people/scientists do not
donate their personal money, but rather a budget they were awarded by
some funding agency (such as the e.g. EU). This way we will see a more
problem-driven research, as only research projects will be funded, which
are very important for a small group of stakeholders or important for a
large one. I think science often does not need multi million projects to
achieve an impact.
But, in order to convice grant givers of such a completely new model of
research funding I guess it is best, if we can proof that it works
already for OS.

Sören