[okfn-discuss] Copyright status of the Open Shakespeare texts ?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Feb 6 10:45:08 UTC 2008

Philippe Aigrain wrote:
> I did a further test on co-ment by creating a text with both parts of Henry
> the Fourth, and it is still works OK (just takes a while to open the text).
>
> However, while doing so, I actually checked the Project Gutenberg source, and
> it looks like the copyright status is uncertain : is it because of the
> translation to modern English in As you like it and Part I of Henry IV ?
> Thanks for letting me know if I can keep such texts public on co-ment, or
> pointing me to Shakespeare texts that are actually in teh public domain.

You've just stumbled across one of the major (initial) reasons for doing
Open Shakespeare -- that even though the texts are really old a lot of
the versions found on the Internet display copyright notices (including
some of those on PG). Some of these notices may be valid some of them
may not be but who wants to spend the time to find out?

Open Shakespeare has done the work for you and all the texts we took
from PG we believe to be in the public domain (when I last looked PG has
roughly 4 version of each Shakespeare text PG and 2 of these have
copyright notices). Thus you can definitely keep the texts you've used
on co-ment.

~rufus