[okfn-discuss] Taking the Open Service Definition to 1.0

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Jul 1 09:19:14 UTC 2008

We first started discussing 'Free/Open Services' 2 years ago thanks to a
post of Kragen Sitaker's. A year ago in July, prompted by debates at
GUADEC and the follow-up by Luis Villa among others, there was a return
to the issue and a formal draft was put up at:

   <http://www.opendefinition.org/osd/>

Following further discussion as part of an informal group coordinated by
the FSF (soon to be further publicized I believe) I believe it is time
for the Open Service Definition (likely rechristened as the Free/Open
Service Definition -- though comments below) to be launched as being 1.0.

To this end it would be great if people would take a quick look at the
current F/OSD page and send back any comments (be that on typos or more
substantial content):

   <http://www.opendefinition.org/osd/>

I'd also welcome comments on 2 specific issues:

1. Naming: should it be Free/Open Service Definition or just plain Open
Service Definition?

2. URL: should we go for the short 'osd' or the longer
'open_service_definition' (or even just 'open_service' or
'free_open_service').