[okfn-discuss] 8 Principles of Open Government Data

jo at frot.org jo at frot.org
Thu May 8 21:31:13 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 08:44:19AM +0100, Rufus Pollock wrote:
> On 03/05/08 01:17, Schuyler Erle wrote:
> > principles articulated around a definition of "open government data",
> > courtesy of the EveryBlock blog:
> > http://resource.org/8_principles.html
>
> Much appreciate the heads-up on this Schuyler. As you surmise we did
> pick up on this when it first came out:
> <http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/okfn-discuss/2007-December/000673.html>

Yes, at the time i bit my tongue about this and, taking these "8
Principles" on their own terms, agreed with Rufus that 5-8, i would say
4 as well, overlap with the Open Knowledge Definition and the latter
seems better framed in terms of *usefulness* (e.g. a license matches
these criteria, or it doesn't in which case question it).

The first three "principles" here are "What We Want" rather than
anything specifically to do with "Open". Yes, we would all like many
sources of data to be as Complete (with recourse to "privacy" argued
in every case rather than used as a non-disclose for free clause)
as Timely and as close to the original Source in "unrefined" form,
as possible.

To talk about "Government data" in this way is to talk in terms that
don't apply to most of us outside North America. Is NASA or ESA data
"government data"? Is data coming from a Cambridge laboratory or
a state-subsidised but privately run transport network "government" data?
Clearly there is a spectrum of different kinds of businesses, all
forming part of the web that is the state and what it helps us all support.

Yet consider a gathering of white middle-class males in Northern California,
all having their eyes on the many business development opportunities
inherent in timely and complete government data. For some reason the
expectation is that these 8 Principles will be handed over on a plate,
supported from the public purse, for all to profit from the value-add.

Well, that is all a very pleasant wet dream. Apart from hugging these
8 Principles to my chest, what am i supposed to do with them?
I already try to build such principles into systems i design,
sulk in my room when obliged to compromise, and offering this
checklist to a friendly local bureaucrat will make me look like some
kind of naive radical, or something.

love,

jo