[okfn-discuss] a lay person's guide to licensing geographic data

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Mon Apr 27 14:45:12 UTC 2009

dear puneet,

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:42 PM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> 2009/4/4 Mr. Puneet Kishor <punkish at eidesis.org>:
>> http://www.punkish.org/Licensing-Geographic-Data

> <http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/pddl/1.0/>
>
> You should also link your piece from the Open Data Licensing we've
> been developing for the last couple of years guide somewhere:
>
>  <http://wiki.okfn.org/OpenDataLicensing>

A couple of years ago I started a geodata licensing guide page
on the OSGeo wiki, inspired by Jonny's work on the above guide.

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Guide_to_Public_Geodata_Licensing

It was intended for public agency use primarily, set out in a
bullet-pointy, pro-and-con sort of way.
As you can see it's still sketchy, it would be good to incorporate
some of your context. I'm not really pursuing it at the moment,
and the climate has changed somewhat (with PDDL, cc0)
since it was begun. I wonder if the approach makes sense to you.

cheers,

jo