[okfn-discuss] ANN: Uberblic.org - Integrating the Web of Data

Mr. Puneet Kishor punkish at eidesis.org
Fri Jan 29 19:18:45 UTC 2010

Ian,

I think your email came only to me, so I am replying to it, and cc-ing
to OKFN.

On Jan 29, 2010, at 12:31 PM, Ian Ibbotson wrote:

> I think I kinda raised this concern at OKCon a couple of years ago,
> but never managed to put it into sensible words..

You have described the concern so well below... you should be proud of
that.

> the worry for me is
> that these data sets are often not like perl modules in one very
> important way: they aren't discrete complete final entities. And I
> worry that OKFN sometimes blurs this versioned-files analogy to better
> fit the CKAN "It's like CPAN but for data" model. These datasets are
> often growing and evolving entities that are (IMNSHO) more correctly
> described as streams than files (Sometimes with versions, often not).

Indeed. I envision CKAN to be a network of mirrored registries
accessible by, hopefully, RESTful APIs that offer the path to plugging
into the authoritative data sources. I should be able to query CKAN
for a dataset by various criteria (nouns, license, provider, etc.),
get a list of providers, and, if they have made their data available
programmatically, plug into those streams.

> Harvesting protocols such as OAI allow us to reference those streams
> (Of metadata or discrete RDF graphs) without actually having to move
> the data from one place to another. I'm not against repositories/silos
> per-se but I am worried about an ecology that favours building a
> dependency on one specific hub over using an authoritative source (Or
> synchronised (In some way) mirror of that source). I guess I'd rather
> see CKAN as the "mirror" software of the knowledge age rather than the
> all-knowing oracle. I appreciate there's nothing to stop people
> running copies of CKAN in this way, although it's not clear to me how
> the mirroring side of things would work.

Totally in agreement. Data should not be duplicated, and should remain
with authoritative providers. CKAN should only be a means to getting
to the edges. All the intelligence should be in the edges.