[okfn-discuss] Open University

Michael Bauer michael.bauer at okfn.org
Wed Dec 5 09:08:58 UTC 2012

Chris,

Taking content online is a trend right now (nytimes about it:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/20/education/colleges-turn-to-crowd-sourcing-courses.html?pagewanted=all)

One thing to keep in mind: it goes even further when metadata and ideally
courses are licensed openly (see TED talks for example - releasing their
talks with CC license gained them huge popularity with the brand stronger
than ever before.)

So yes a Universitys role changes: From closed doors to open to everyone -
if you produce great open online stuff - students will seek you out in
person.

Michael

On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 10:26:54PM +0100, Chris Monaghan wrote:
> Hey folks
>
> I'm a student and work at a systems design company in the Netherlands. Next
> week I'm going to meet the head Utrecht University, where I go to school,
> and had a lot I want to discuss with him about open data, open courses, and
> a university's changing role. But I wanted to condense my thoughts, and
> thought this community to be a great source of insight for what I should
> focus on when I speak with him.
>
> Any feedback or suggestions you can provide would be really appreciated,
> and I'll keep those who email me informed about the outcome of the meeting.
>
> Best wishes
> Chris Monaghan
>
> --
> *- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -*
> *Chris Monaghan*
> Operations Manager*
> *
> METABOLIC LAB
> www.metaboliclab.nl
> Mobile: +31 6 55 81 85 65
> Twitter: @melalaboratory

Data Wrangler with the Open Knowledge Foundation (OKFN.org)
GPG/PGP key: http://tentacleriot.eu/mihi.asc
Twitter: @mihi_tr Skype: mihi_tr