[okfn-discuss] Open University

Chris Monaghan chris at metaboliclab.nl
Wed Dec 5 10:41:59 UTC 2012

Hey Michael,

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree. That NYT article is what started the
discussion with me and the rector of the university. What I'm more
interested in is specifically how universities who are not top tier might
enter into this online content world. For example, I imagine they'd want to
make some online content for their best program(s) and use the online
content of others for programs that dont have the best professors. But
easier said than done. Also regarding open data, university's current IP
regulations...it's all quite complicated and I'm interesting in different
types of solutions that would fit well for conservative schools.

Thanks again for your email man

Best
chris

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Michael Bauer <michael.bauer at okfn.org>wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Taking content online is a trend right now (nytimes about it:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/20/education/colleges-turn-to-crowd-sourcing-courses.html?pagewanted=all
> )
>
> One thing to keep in mind: it goes even further when metadata and ideally
> courses are licensed openly (see TED talks for example - releasing their
> talks with CC license gained them huge popularity with the brand stronger
> than ever before.)
>
> So yes a Universitys role changes: From closed doors to open to everyone -
> if you produce great open online stuff - students will seek you out in
> person.
>
> Michael
>
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 10:26:54PM +0100, Chris Monaghan wrote:
> > Hey folks
> >
> > I'm a student and work at a systems design company in the Netherlands.
> Next
> > week I'm going to meet the head Utrecht University, where I go to school,
> > and had a lot I want to discuss with him about open data, open courses,
> and
> > a university's changing role. But I wanted to condense my thoughts, and
> > thought this community to be a great source of insight for what I should
> > focus on when I speak with him.
> >
> > Any feedback or suggestions you can provide would be really appreciated,
> > and I'll keep those who email me informed about the outcome of the
> meeting.
> >
> > Best wishes
> > Chris Monaghan
> >
> > --
> > *- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -*
> > *Chris Monaghan*
> > Operations Manager*
> > *
> > *- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> > METABOLIC LAB
> > www.metaboliclab.nl
> > Mobile: +31 6 55 81 85 65
> > Twitter: @melalaboratory

> Data Wrangler with the Open Knowledge Foundation (OKFN.org)
> GPG/PGP key: http://tentacleriot.eu/mihi.asc
> Twitter: @mihi_tr Skype: mihi_tr

*Chris Monaghan*
Operations Manager*