[okfn-discuss] New crowdfunding system in the works exclusively for Free/Libre/Open resources

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Mon Dec 10 18:20:56 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Aaron Wolf <wolftune at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Speaking of another kind of dogmatism, I'd encourage you to at least
>> mirror your repository on gitorious, which is an open service, unlike
>> github.
>
> I'm COMPLETELY convinced! I have been really wary of the idea of GitHub all
> along. We were trying to figure out the best way to do this and didn't want
> to reinvent the wheel. We want a ticket system and easy ability to do git
> stuff. I didn't know that gitorious was Free. I was trusting David's
> recommendation that GitHub was the best choice.
>
> Is mirroring easy enough? Is it worth still using GitHub at all? Is using
> GitHub kind of like having FLOSS ported to Windows (i.e. practical because
> that's where people are already, although we'd like them to move to fully
> Free platforms)? Maybe we should only use Gitorius, at least for now?

Mirroring is easy; one writeup https://exyr.org/2011/git-mirrors/

Using gitorious as primary would win the hearts of the really
committed. Mirroring on github would then be just a way to attract
attention, which some people think github is good for; this may even
be true for some projects. But if you're not ready for lots of
attention, this may not even be a plus.

> My ideal goal is that we are in every way as Open as possible. I don't want
> to rely on any proprietary tools. I even am insisting that the illustrations
> for Snowdrift are done with FLOSS. I don't think requiring this is
> practical, but I'd like to encourage and emphasize projects that release
> "source" in Open formats (i.e. I don't like that Nina Paley, as superb as
> her support for Freedom is, uses Flash for her animations).

Right.

> Thanks so much for the advice!
>
> Respectfully,
> Aaron