[okfn-discuss] [FC-discuss] A Free, Libre and Open Glossary

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 17:56:40 UTC 2013

I agree, Heath. "Libre" is ideal. The practical concern, as I said is: if
we can't make the OKFN change its name, etc. then we will be stuck dealing
with explaining "open" vs "free". I think the only way to get "Libre" to
become the standard is to get these formal organizations to all embrace it
together, and I don't know how or if that's possible.

I suspect that "open" is too entrenched. Unfortunately, the "open" message
is too entrenched too, as I know many software developers who don't see why
any non-programmer should care whether a program is open source, and I also
know lots of Open Science folks who don't understand why they should care
about whether a gratis service like Google Docs is non-open non-free.

Yes, the solution is clearly the word "libre". If you tell someone: "Google
Docs is non-open" they don't get it or care. If you tell someone: "Google
Docs is non-free" they say, "I didn't pay anything." If you tell someone
"Google Docs is non-libre" they will not understand but will say, "what is
libre?" The answer is: "It's a Spanish word, it means like liberty,
something that isn't restricting your liberties", then the person will
totally understand. Google Docs is non-libre means it restricts your
liberties in some way. And that matters to people in a way that saying it
is non-open does not.

--
Aaron Wolf
wolftune.com