[okfn-discuss] [FC-discuss] A Free, Libre and Open Glossary

heath rezabek heath.rezabek at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 18:28:43 UTC 2013

stef, that Baffler article is excellent.

Aaron, I actually believe that oftentimes, more headway can be made by
forging ahead with a new idea rather than trying to convert existing ideas.
 If the idea has legs, then it will start to change things on its own, and
eventually existing ideas will need to enter into a dialogue with it
somehow.  When a new idea is tiny, there's no reason for existing ideas to
answer its call and the new upstart ends up seeming like a strident outlier.

Picture stickers or flyers with ¡Libre! at a conference or cultural event,
seen around works that embodied its spirit.  The curious would ask, 'What
is that?' And the advocate would tell them what kinds of work it stands for
and which it doesn't.  When either Open or Free are brought up, that simply
adds to the grounds for discussion from there.

My point is just that I doubt existing efforts are likely to wholeheartedly
adopt the word and replace prior terms with it, until its clear that Libre
has opened up truly new possibilities.  Certainly not when so much scarred
earth lays between Open and Free as it is.  Until a new framework for
viewing the word is established on its own, people are bound to see it as
part of the existing framework, a simple lever between Open and Free.
 (Actually, the picture of a flag marked Libre planted in a battlefield,
with Open and Free on either side, is nearly a compelling image right out
of the box...)

It just seems to me that advocates of Libre should get busy on the Libre
Project, and over time new advocates will come to them.

- Heath

hrezabek at icarusinterstellar.org
@starshipcongrss
 <https://twitter.com/StarshipCongrss>starshipcongress.com