[okfn-discuss] [FC-discuss] A Free, Libre and Open Glossary

Everton Zanella Alvarenga everton.alvarenga at okfn.org
Wed Jul 10 19:54:18 UTC 2013

Long time ago I have started a discussion to have a better name for
OKF in Brazil. [1]

As I said recently somewhere here (or near here, hehe), we are using
"OKF Brasil - Rede pelo Conhecimento Livre". We will maitain to use
the "Open Knowledge Foundation" when adequate, but "Rede pelo
Conhecimento Livre" for a name representing what the local group aims
to do.

Sometimes the word "livre" (= "livre" in Spanish) will be used, like
for knowledge, but others "aberto", depending if it is the term that
people are using, like in "ciência aberta" (= open science), "dados
abertos" (= open data) and "recursos educacionais abertos" (= open
educational resources).

Last week Stallman told in Brazil to a colleague that he should NOT
use the word "open", but I think that is bulshit depending of the
context.

Tom

[1] "Open Knowledge Foundation" in other languages / Free vs. Open
<http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/okfn-help/2011-November/001669.html>
(Nov 2011)

--
Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
OKFN Brasil - Rede pelo Conhecimento Livre