[okfn-discuss] Join us in creating a data journalism handbook for Latin America

Miguel Paz miguel at poderopedia.com
Tue Mar 19 20:06:12 UTC 2013

Hi everyone

This is an open invitation to anyone with the skills to participate in this
collaborative project.

The Iberoamerican Data Journalism Handbook (Manual de Periodismo de Datos
Iberoamericano) will be written in our own languages (spanish, portuguese)
by volunteer journalists, developers and designers from Mexico to Patagonia
and Spain, with the mission of showing the state of data journalism in
Iberoamerica, explaining how to do data journalism in our countries,
improving our networks of communication, helping our community accelerate
its learning and providing it with the tools to do better journalism.

It will include:

   - The best parts of the original Data Journalism
Handbook<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.datajournalismhandbook.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNG2ISBUQ1yk4QnNufO2_2EMIPu6zg>
and
   other manuals licensed under Creative Commons 3.0.
Unported<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fcreativecommons.org%2Flicenses%2Fby-sa%2F3.0%2Fdeed.en&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGXvvOItbOgjzyXLbHfKjjgaAzgfw>
   .
   - Guides and tutorials on subjects such as databases, deep Web research,
   data mining and scraping, data visualization and mapping, open data, access
   to public information and cyber security, among other topics.
   - The best tools, examples and open source code projects.
   - Country reports on:
      1. Data Journalism (who does data journalism in each country, which
      are the notable cases, etc)
      2. Existence and quality of press laws, information and transparency
      (is there any, do they work, what does not work, how to address these
      issues by country).
      3. Open data and open data government policies.

You are more than wellcome to participate!

English post:
http://ijnet.org/blog/join-us-creating-data-journalism-guide-latin-america
Post en español:
http://ijnet.org/es/blog/sumate-la-escritura-colaborativa-del-manual-de-periodismo-de-datos-iberoamericano