[okfn-discuss] A start on recording which works will enter the public domain in 2014 in author's death + 70 years countries

Chris Sakkas sanglorian at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 07:30:09 UTC 2013

Hi folks,

I've created a Wikipedia page for authors and works that will enter the
public domain in 2014 in 70 years *p.m.a. *jurisdictions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_in_public_domain

If you are looking for entries,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1943_deaths may help.

Last time we talked about this, a number of ways of finding a cross-section
of the '194# deaths' and the 'Writers' categories were suggested. I've gone
through all of these entries, but you could use the same process for
artists and so on.

>From Yury Katkov:

Go to this resource: http://dbpedia.org/sparql

and put the following query:

SELECT DISTINCT ?a WHERE {
?a dcterms:subject category:1943_deaths;
   rdf:type dbpedia-owl:Writer} LIMIT 1000

OR

http://www.freebase.com/queryeditor

[{ type: "/book/author"
   "/people/deceased_person/date_of_death|=" : ["1943"]
   "name" : null
   "limit" : 700
}]

>From Finn Arup Nielsen, although note it places a heavy load on the
toolserver:

http://toolserver.org/~daniel/WikiSense/CategoryIntersect.php?wikilang=en&
wikifam=.wikipedia.org&basecat=1943+deaths&basedeep=1&mode=cs&tagcat=
Writers&tagdeep=3&go=Scan&format=html&userlang=en

I found the toolserver one most useful because it creates hyperlinks to the
author's Wikipedia page.

Cheers,
Chris

*Chris Sakkas**Admin of the FOSsil Bank wiki
<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/> and the Living Libre blog
<http://www.livinglibre.com> and Twitter feed
<https://twitter.com/#%21/living_libre>.*