[okfn-discuss] open data, open science entries on wikipedia

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 00:54:53 UTC 2013

Gene,

You should know better than to even joke about stealing CC-BY-SA material
for use in another CC-BY-SA work (Citizendium vs Wikipedia). You can go
ahead and do in reverse. Any work done on Wikipedia can be just moved right
over to Citizendium, so go right ahead and do that. Many of Citizendium's
tiny number of approved articles actually came originally from Wikipedia
(often with inadequate attribution nonetheless)!

Wikipedia has a specific project for incorporating the good stuff from
Citizendium:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Citizendium_Porting

Of course, given that Citizendium is not that active nor effective, there's
not much good to port over.

So in the end, writing at Citizendium doesn't do anything to help anyone
one way or the other, except that it probably will stay obscure and fail to
benefit from as many helpful editors.

I should add that I support your idea of using a wiki to draft policies and
then to formalize and sign a set thing that gets placed in static form at
OKFN site and referenced from the wiki.

Respectfully,
Aaron

--