[okfn-discuss] Live Webcast - Personal Democracy Forum 2014 - Save the Internet, The Internet Saves

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Fri Jun 6 22:20:20 UTC 2014

howdy,

On Fri, Jun 06, 2014 at 01:00:08PM -0500, Steven Clift wrote:
> Yes, very independent. Is Facebook more evil than Twitter in your view??

i must admit i failed at the twitter thing. and i feel extremely
uncomfortable.

> But here is my take - after 20 years of promoting and using open
> source to feed my Democracies Online Newswire - http://dowire.org -
> http://e-democracy.org/groupserver - IF we want to connect to the next
> generation of emerging wired elected officials we must reach them
> where they are online.
>
> In MN we have 30 something new elected officials essentially
> "friending" their way to office.

i think this is very bad. as facebook is not a neutral player, for example max
schrems book about facebooks privacy violations was blocked by facebook:
https://twitter.com/maxschrems/status/474145647147646976

the filterbubble, not a good thing either for democracy.

being vendor locked-in into a dominant market player that is directly under
the influence of a state level actor cannot be considered something positive.

otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt