[okfn-discuss] Next steps on the Open Knowledge Tagline

Nurunnaby Chowdhury nh at nhasive.com
Mon Jun 9 16:45:12 UTC 2014

My choice:

   -

   Open Knowledge: see how information can change the world

   --Nurunnaby Chowdhury | @nhasive

   OK Bangladesh Ambassador

On Monday, June 9, 2014, Aaron Wolf <wolftune at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> message, that this *is* about freedom, people, and power. It begs the
> question of each action for the organization "does this work empower the
> public?" and "will this help free ideas?" That's much better than the
> implications of the current tagline which might be "after we open this
> [Pandora's box?], we will see what changes it brings…"
>
> My second choice is NO tagline.
>
> Third: Open knowledge, open data, open minds
>

> --
> Aaron Wolf
> wolftune.com
>

> On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 3:37 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','rufus.pollock at okfn.org');>> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We’ve now had a good amount of time for everyone to contribute ideas re
>> the tagline - I've personally contributed quite a few!
>>
>> We’ve also had a chance to get some advice and input from Johnson Banks
>> who have been the professional advisors helping us with the logo, the
>> narrative etc.
>>
>> First, off it is worth reiterating a few key points:
>>

>>    -
>>
>>    The tagline complements the narrative (the longer paragraph) and our
>>    name - it will usually be found with our name/logo and e.g. on the front
>>    page leads into the narrative
>>    -
>>
>>    The tagline aims to be a succinct statement of our core purpose and
>>    reason for being, the driver of our work. It is not especially supposed to
>>    summarize who we are in terms of our structure (e.g. we don’t need it to
>>    say “we’re a community” or “we’re global” etc)
>>    -
>>
>>    Common taglines for well known entities tend to be very short. E.g.
>>    Greenpeace - tagline is (I believe) “caring for the environment” or Nike’s
>>    “Just Do It”. Ours could be a bit longer since people are likely less
>>    familiar with who we are and the kind of area we work in but we still want
>>    it to be reasonably short
>>    -
>>
>>    The tagline is aimed to be meaningful (if not a fully explanatory
>>    since it is so short) to people who aren’t already part of the core
>>    community
>>    -
>>
>>    We almost certainly want the tagline to work in conjunction with the
>>    name, so assume it reads "Open Knowledge: [tagline] ". This means taglines
>>    which incorporate either open or knowledge run the risk of being repetitive
>>    e.g. imagine tagline was opening knowledge around the world. We’d then
>>    have: “Open Knowledge: opening knowledge around the world” which doesn’t
>>    read so well
>>    -
>>
>>    It would be nice - but not essential - if the tagline allowed for
>>    customization for specific activities e.g. see how X can change the world
>>    can have X replaced by different things (such as “open science”)
>>

>> Based on all of these considerations, reviewing the

Nurunnaby Chowdhury Hasive
Administrator | Bengali Wikipedia
<http://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:nhasive>
Member | IEG Committee, Wikimedia Foundation
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/People>
Social Media Interaction Expert | The Daily Prothom-Alo
<http://www.prothom-alo.com>
Bangladesh Ambassador | Open Knowledge Foundation Network
<http://www.okfn.org>
Treasurer | Bangladesh Open Source Network (BdOSN) <http://www.bdosn.org>
Task Force Member | Mozilla Bangladesh <http://www.mozillabd.org>
fb.com/nhasive | @nhasive <http://www.twitter.com/nhasive> | Skype: nhasive