[okfn-discuss] Next steps on the Open Knowledge Tagline

heath rezabek heath.rezabek at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 17:38:03 UTC 2014

Going from that idea of active voice, combined with
audience/setting-responsive focus word, (data, science, art, etc) the
variant occurred to me..:

The Future of Science is Ours to Open.

The Future of Culture is Ours to Open.

The Future of Data is Ours to Open.

etc.

- h

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 11:30 AM, Aaron Wolf <wolftune at gmail.com> wrote:

> If it had been flexible and all-encompassing initially, I might never have
> complained. But since we're discussing it, "see" is still too passive. It
> isn't "help" or "open" as a verb or any other call to action. "See" just
> says, "stand back and watch".
>
> But really, I would not have bothered making much of this if not for the
> strange narrowing of the "data" focus.
>
> --
> Aaron Wolf
> wolftune.com
>

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>
> wrote:
>
>> To add here I'd assumed that we'd leverage the opportunity to vary the
>> "see how" stuff e.g. you could vary it to:
>>
>> "see how open culture can change the world"
>> "see how open science can change the world"
>> "see how X can change the world"
>>
>> Let me re-iterate I'm not super-advocating this option but indicating the
>> potential and trying to avoid (too much) hangup on the "data" point :-)
>>
>> Generally great to see the rich conversation here and keep the points
>> coming!
>>
>> Rufus
>>

>> On 17 June 2014 16:51, Javier Creus <javicreus at ideasforchange.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I am afraid as well that "data" is not everything worth to be open.
>>>
>>> In my opinion Tesla's movement to share its patents with anyone is part
>>> of the Open movement, even if it is not strictly data and if it doesn't
>>> fully embrace the open knowledge definition.  It's about "openess"
>>>

>>> thanks,
>>>

>>> javi

>>> I'll be *this* bold (and it's totally honest!). I *love *the Public

>>> --
>>> www.IdeasforChange.com
>>> www.NoSomosHormigas.org

>> --
>>
>> * Rufus Pollock Founder and President | skype: rufuspollock |
>> @rufuspollock <https://twitter.com/rufuspollock> Open Knowledge
>> <http://okfn.org/> - see how data can change the world **http://okfn.org/
>> <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN> | Open Knowledge on
>> Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> |  Blog
>> <http://blog.okfn.org/>*
>>
>> *Come to the Open Knowledge Festival <http://okfestival.org/> in Berlin
>> 15-17 July 2014!*
>>
>>  The Open Knowledge Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation.  It is
>> incorporated in England & Wales as a company limited by guarantee, with
>> company number 05133759.  VAT Registration № GB 984404989. Registered
>> office address: Open Knowledge Foundation, St John’s Innovation Centre,
>> Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS, UK.

Heath Rezabek  //  labs.vessel.cc
Icarus Interstellar  /  FarMaker Design Corps  //  icarusinterstellar.org
Open Knowledge Foundation  /  Texas Ambassador for the OKFn  //  okfn.org