[okfn-discuss] Fwd: Open Knowledge Entrepreneurship Reference Resources

Everton Zanella Alvarenga tom at okfn.org.br
Thu Aug 6 15:51:28 UTC 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Everton Zanella Alvarenga <tom at okfn.org.br>
Date: 2015-08-06 12:51 GMT-03:00
Subject: Open Knowledge Entrepreneurship Reference Resources
okfn-local-coord at lists.okfn.org>

Folks,

I've started a wiki page for us fill out with references resources on
entrepreneurship

http://wiki.okfn.org/Entrepreneurship_Reference_Resources

Please, do add book, articles, organizations, ideas etc.. that wiil support
our internacional communities to run local sustainable projects and
organizations.

A few years I've sent it here, but an important thing on my opinion is how
we deal with our mistakes and admit them, when they happen.

"We have a conundrum. It is really hard to talk about failure. Admitting
Failure is here to help. This is a community and a resource, created to
establish new levels of transparency, collaboration and innovation within
civil society.

Fear, embarrassment, and intolerance of failure drives our learning
underground. No more. Failure is strength. The most effective and
innovative organizations are those that are willing to speak openly about
their failures. Because the only truly "bad" failure is one that's
repeated."

Source: https://www.admittingfailure.org/

And our open way of working make us stronger about it, althought difficult
sometimes

"The main difference between science and stage magic is that in science you
make your mistakes in public. You show them off, so that everybody can
learn from them--not just yourself. This way, you get the benefit of
everybody else's experience, and not just your own idiosyncratic path
through the space of mistakes. This, by the way, is what makes us so much
smarter than every other species. It is not so much that our brains are
bigger or more powerful, but that we share the benefits that our individual
brains have won by their individual histories of trial and error.

The secret is knowing when and how to make mistakes, so that nobody gets
hurt and everybody can learn from the experience. It is amazing to me how
many really smart people don't understand this. I know distinguished
researchers who will go to preposterous lengths to avoid having to
acknowledge that they were wrong about something--even something quite
trivial. What they have never noticed, apparently, is that the earth does
not swallow people up when they say, "Oops, you're right. I guess I made a
mistake." You will find that people love pointing out your mistakes. If
they are generous-spirited, they will appreciate you more for giving them
the opportunity to help, and acknowledging it when they succeed, and if
they are mean-spirited they will enjoy showing you up. Either way, you--and
we all--win.""

Source: http://ase.tufts.edu/cogstud/dennett/papers/howmista.htm

That's a small short list for us to expend. I'm sure several people here
have read other things to suggest.

Cheers,

Tom
Open Knowledge Brazil