[Okfn-dk] nordic+baltic okfn cooperation and school of data

miska knapek contactmiska at knapek.org
Wed Jan 15 09:08:24 UTC 2014

Hello again everyone,

Well, it not seems that the Norwegians have a national/winter holiday  on
the open data day :(
They're trying to figure out alternative days for a Nordic get-together -
even if it might be in skype form.

The next conceivable time is around the 4th march, which is the day they're
trying to push the open data day to.

Here's what Heather Broomfield of data.norge.no wrote:

"The Open data day has been a challenge for us.  Firstly it lands right
when winter holidays are taken here in Norway (very many people take these
holidays), there is also a big hackathon happening on the 6-7 Feb regarding
cultural data. As you know we thought about running the data journalism
event on open data day too, but given the winter holidays this would not be
wise, instead we are now looking at the 4th March. We are meeting with our
boss this afternoon about this, so I hope we will have confirmation that we
can go ahead with it.  So with all of this happening plus the winter
holidays, we had to make the difficult decision that it would be very
difficult to get people if we were to push the 22nd  aswell, so we are not
taking a leading role here.

If we  get the data journalism day happening on the 4th, we are hoping that
it would be possible to have an open data meet up that evening – could it
be an option to come then instead? We could make a happening and maybe even
get a Nordic meetup together or something.  There are many opportunitiesJ"

/miska