[OKFN-EN] Mobile phone data for sale: discussion panel with EE and Ipsos Mori

Javier Ruiz javier at openrightsgroup.org
Wed May 29 11:07:08 UTC 2013

Mobile phone data for sale: discussion panel with EE and Ipsos Mori

Committee Room 6, House of Commons , London SW1A 0AA
Wednesday, June 5, 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM

I am writing to invite you to Open Rights Group's forthcoming event on anonymisation, personal information and data analysis.

Recent press reports suggested that Ipsos Mori was marketing mobile network usage data to a range of companies, local authorities and public bodies.

The reports suggested that the Metropolitan Police were offered access to mobile users’ individual personal information - including web history, location and spending patterns. The claims were subsequently rejected by Ipsos MORI and mobile operator EE.

Some mobile phone providers contacted by ORG admit allowing third parties access to their customers data, but insist they comply with Data Protection laws and only deal in anonymised user data.

Join us for a panel discussion, to be held in Parliament next Wednesday, June 5th at 2pm, that will clarify the details of this particular case, but also consider the issues raised by the general trend of products and analytics based on 'anonymised' customers data. We'll be asking:

- What happens to our personal data when companies create these new services?
- Can the technological measures used by companies truly protect our personal information?
- Is the current regulatory framework able to deal with these new uses of mobile data? Is there a need for a new Code of Practice?
- How can customers have a say in what happens to their data? Is "tick-and-forget" "consent enough? Do we need to explore more dynamic engagement models?

The meeting will be hosted by Julian Huppert, MP and the panel will include:

- Ben Page, CEO of Ipsos Mori
- Jason Rees, Director of New Business at Everything Everywhere (EE)
- Iain Bourne, Group Manager of Policy Delivery at the Information Commissioner's Office
- Joss Wright, Researcher at the Oxford Internet Institute.

This event is organised by the Open Rights Group.

Please email javier at openrightsgroup.org (mailto:javier at openrightsgroup.org) to RSVP, or use our Meetup page http://www.meetup.com/ORG-London/events/121017252/

--
Javier Ruiz
javier at openrightsgroup.org
+44(0)7877 911 412
@javierruiz
www.OpenRightsGroup.org
Winners of Liberty's Human Rights Campaigner of the Year Award 2012