[OKFN-Greece] Budget Monitoring Documentary & OKFN trip to Greece - who to visit?

cbratsas cbratsas at math.auth.gr
Tue Jun 19 19:22:22 UTC 2012

Hi Lucy!

I am Charalampos Bratsas, OKFN Greece Local Group coordinator.

Your project seems interesting and promising!

We have worked on OpenSpenidng and similar projects lately and have
posted information about them on our group's blog

http://gr.okfn.org/en/auto-draft/

http://www.greek-lod.gr/apps/diavgeia-police/spendingVScrimes.htm

http://www.greek-lod.gr/DiavgeiaTreeMap/dapanes/General.html

http://gr.okfn.org/en/greek-lod/

http://blog.okfn.org/2012/03/05/okf-hits-the-med-greek-group-launched/

I would like to meet you in person too, so you would be very welcome,
here in Thessaloniki!

About your inquiry:

  * Budget Monitoring Organisations: There is a government one
    <http://www.minfin.gr/portal/en/resource/section/TmhmaAnamorfwshstoySysthmatosKatartishsParakoloythhshstoyKr>;
    I will check for non-government organisations and report back.
  * Issue Advocacy: I have contacted some people and I am waiting for
    input on this one
  * Transparency (Process Advocacy): you should meet the people behind
    Diavgeia <http://diavgeia.gov.gr/>(Clarity) (Greek Free Open Source
    Community).
  * Academic / Economists who do research using financial data: I
    recommend you to meet prof. Varsakelis from the School of Economics,
    Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, also prof. Spyrakis (Director
    of Computer Technology Institute and Press "Diophantus", Steering
    Committee OKFN Greece) and prof. Metakides (President of DIGITAL
    ENLIGHTENMENT FORUM, Steering Committee OKFN Greece) and prof
    Antoniou (Director of MSc Web Science, AUTH, Steering Committee OKFN
    Greece).
  * Technology and Data Advocates: We are the ones that lead the linked
    open data research in Greece, so we are working with data to develop
    software solutions. We have dealt with open finance data, coming
    from Diavgeia, to develop web applications for funding monitoring,
    so we can help you here ourselves.
  * Media / Journalists researching financial topics
  * Parliamentarians: I have some people in mind, that have served in
    notable positions (from parliamentarians to ministers of finance)
    that would certainly be well aware of the issues.

I am willing to contact each of the organisations for you, to make it
easier to communicate your objectives to them. It would be nice if you
offered some more details on your project, in order to help you more
effectively.

Best regards

Charalampos

> Hello Greece!
>
> Apologies for posting in English. I'm a colleague of Kat Braybrooke's,
> my name is Lucy Chambers and I work on the OpenSpending.org project
> (http://openspending.org/) here at OKFN.
>
> I'm currently working on a project to map out and compare how
> organisations who monitor budget issues work in different countries -
> what tools and techniques they use, and what the barriers are (More
> here:
> http://openspending.org/blog/2012/01/12/civil-society-and-spending-data-who-is-mapping-the-money.html).
> I'm hoping to visit Greece and make a mini-documentary on the topic
> next month.
>
> I'm wondering whether anyone on the list would be able to recommend
> any people I should visit while I am there? I am looking in particular
> to get in contact with:
>
> - Budget Monitoring Organisations
> - Issue Advocacy e.g. Gender budgeting / Youth budgeting
> - Transparency (Process Advocacy) - people who campaign for
> information to be released...
> - Academic / Economists who do research using financial data
> - Technology and Data Advocates
> - Media / Journalists researching financial topics
> - Parliamentarians - the individuals within governments responsible
> for analysing and making policy based on these types of data.
>
> If there are any organisations you can recommend me to get in contact
> with - please do let me know!
>
> I am also very keen to meet up with those of you who were at the last
> meetup, it would be great to meet in person :)
>
> Thankful for any help you can offer,
>
> Lucy
>

> --
> Lucy Chambers