[okfn-help] Open Factbook

William Waites william.waites at okfn.org
Thu Jun 17 18:50:06 BST 2010

Hi all,

Peter Buneman told me a story today about some people who
are making machine readable versions of the CIA World
Factbook available online and selling them for £1500 or so.

He and Heiko Müller have, for their own projects, done
similar work and would like to make their machine readable
versions available under an open license.

I'd suggest uploading the documents (considered as databases?)
to archive.org, asserting an open license (ODBL? PDDL?) and
then listing them in CKAN so they'll get indexed and such.

Make sense?

Jordan, thoughts about how to license this properly?

Cheers,
-w

--
William Waites           <william.waites at okfn.org>
Mob: +44 789 798 9965    Open Knowledge Foundation