[okfn-help] Openness ticks/crosses on CKAN

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Sat Aug 8 10:10:47 UTC 2009

I have been wondering about the 'openness' ticks/crosses on CKAN. I
notice that when a package is openly licensed, but not available for
bulk download a single red cross shows up for 'no bulk download' but
there is no corresponding green tick for openness (as there has been
in the past). Also the cross shows up next to the word 'openness',
implying that the package is not open (even though it may be openly
licensed).

Not sure whether:
  (i) this is accurate - and absence of bulk downloadability
constitutes non-compliance with the OKD, e.g. violates requirement to
be able to access work as a whole as specified in point 1. or
requirement that there is an absence of technological restriction
specified in point 4. In this case there must be a distinction between
putting a work under an open license and full OKD compliance?
  (ii) this is inaccurate - and instead of what we've got, we should
have a tick for 'openness' and a cross for 'bulk downloadability'?

See, e.g. Akvopedia, which is under GFDL but has a cross next to
openness as there is no download URL.

What do people think?

--
Jonathan Gray