[okfn-help] KForge community development

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net
Tue Jun 16 17:57:34 UTC 2009

Rufus Pollock wrote:
> 2009/6/13 John Bywater <john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net>:
>> I've written the proposals into the SoftwareClub wiki page.
>> http://wiki.okfn.org/SoftwareClub
>
> Looks good. I'd note it ends up quite similar to the layout of our
> standard project template, e.g.
>
> <http://www.okfn.org/microfacts/>

Thanks! Regarding layout, after a bit more work, I've arrived at a
"service desk" format. I reckon clubs most usefully present themselves
as a service desk.

So I've refactored the format to, for example:

http://appropriatesoftware.net/foundation/Association.html
http://appropriatesoftware.net/foundation/DevelopmentClub.html
http://appropriatesoftware.net/foundation/ClubofClubs.html
http://appropriatesoftware.net/foundation/ScanClub.html
http://appropriatesoftware.net/foundation/OpenKnowledgeClub.html
http://appropriatesoftware.net/foundation/RetailClub.html
http://appropriatesoftware.net/foundation/QuantClub.html

The Open Knowledge Club page is just an exercise in using the XSLT
template I put into our CMS. It's based on the domain model I mentioned
before. We can move it, of course.

> Perhaps we can merge these conceptually (for example this club which
> is focused on KForge could merge with http://www.okfn.org/kforge/).

That might be a good place for a service desk. (But I reckon you just
want one service desk for all the open knowledge services.)

>> The proposals can be published in a prospectus when stable. I guess there
>> could be a wiki page per prospectus, for example:
>> http://wiki.okfn.org/Prospectus2009Summer
>
> I think we should try keep things pretty short and focused so let's
> keep this kind of think in the club page, at least at the start.

Okay. The proposals will need to be moved off the page first, but it's
not a problem we have at the moment.

>>> Yes, I reckon they can be recorded there. But please note that there are
>>> several entities and associations that I'm trying to boil down into a domain
>>> model. Not least: "a prospectus has a collection of proposals". :-)
>> Regarding proposals, prospectuses, etc, I've sketched domain model for
>> software clubs. There's a UML class diagram (and nice text description)
>> under the heading "Domain Model" on this page:
>> http://appropriatesoftware.net/foundation/ClubTutorial.html
>
> This is really nice, especially the top diagram.

Thanks a lot.

>> Prospectuses refer to their proposals. Proposals need to refer to the issues
>> they resolve. Clubs need to refer both to the proposals they register, and
>> to the prospectuses they publish. Approvals need to refer to prospectuses
>> (and probably individual proposals). Hosts and members need to calculate
>> levels of approval and reports on progress, so doing this on a wiki might
>> not scale. :-)
>
> I think we can afford to go fairly light on "process" until we
> actually get some members involved.

Was just indicating the type of records we can expect to need. :-)

> After all I'd imagine our main, and toughest, tasks is finding members
> willing to contribute "resources" -- be that time, money, energy etc.

Yes, that's exactly what the club is designed to leverage.

Best wishes,

John.