[okfn-help] Email catch all

Nils Toedtmann nils.toedtmann at okfn.org
Thu Dec 22 18:11:05 UTC 2011

As far as i can see we do not have mail catch-alls currently.

Email catch-all's are generally a not very good idea:

  * Not bouncing non-existant mail addresses violates expectations.
Users expect such mails to bounce immediately, so they can re-send to
the correct address.

  * Not bouncing non-existant mail addresses violates email-standards

  * No one has the capacity to monitor all the crap coming in (spam spam
spam and a LOT of backscatter). So some legit mails with mis-spelled
addresses might be not followed up at all.

  * Suggest i send a quite confidential mail to misspelled
sam.leo at okfn.org (e.g. i am drunk and say something inappropriate about
another OKF team member). I *really* want that mail to bounce, and not
be read by 10 other OKF people.

Just my 2ct, /n

See http://nils.toedtmann.net/ for contact details.