[okfn-help] free software for teleconferencing, etc.

William Waites ww at styx.org
Sun Jul 10 09:46:04 UTC 2011

] I suggest this software: Big Blue Button

So I've set up a straight out-of-the-box installation of this at
http://bbb.okfn.org/

Some significant customisations would need to be done to use this for
real, at a minimum, multiple meetings and such, some twiddling with
the dialplan so that users of regular VoIP clients can just call,
e.g. sip:ckan at bbb.okfn.org and we have no idea the scalability
especially if people start doing crazy things like using the video.

It also needs to be locked down a bit, some careful iptables work here
would be necessary.

This is also set up at Rackspace (us12.okfn.org) which is in the US,
this is moderately bad news because most of us are in Europe and
multiple trips across the atlantic are not great for VoIP. But I
judged that better than trying to work around Amazon's NAT
arrangement.

I'm not convinced we need all the features because actually people
usually use the pirate pad and such for taking notes and the chat
thing in there - it may be a good idea to just try to take the flash
SIP client out of bbb and use it standalone. Kitchen sink bloat, bah.

In the meantime, feel free to try it out. If people generally like
it then maybe we can try to do this "for real".

-w

--
William Waites                <mailto:ww at styx.org>
http://river.styx.org/ww/        <sip:ww at styx.org>