[okfn-help] Locking pages on wiki.okfn.org

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Jul 13 13:15:02 UTC 2011

On 13 July 2011 13:47, elf Pavlik <perpetual-tripper at wwelves.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Jonathan Gray's message of 2011-07-13 14:24:46 +0200:
>> I keep deleting spam on: http://wiki.okfn.org/OGDCamp
>>
>> For now this is a critical, high value page. I am sending the link to
>> lots of important people (e.g. from UN, White House, national
>> governments, etc) so I'd prefer it not to be spammed.
>>
>> Is there any way I can lock the page for now to prevent anyone other
>> than myself from editing it?
>>
>> Given the tradeoff between:
>>
>>   (i) let anyone edit and firefight spam with extra hours per week
>> that I don't currently have
>>   (ii) have this locked down, and people can contact me asking
>> permission to edit, or to ask me to edit things
>>
>> I'd much, much prefer (ii).
>>
>> J.
>>

> How about using captcha? I guess it works well with stopping many spambots...

We already have that. People are not just randomly deleting stuff,
adding random text -- no links!

I've made you and Jonathan sysops so you can now more easily rollback
stuff and protect pages.

You can make others sysops/admins by visiting:

<http://wiki.okfn.org/Special:UserRights>

Re protecting pages see:

<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Protecting_and_unprotecting_pages>

Rufus